The debut album from California-born electronica composers / DJs Dance Spirit, titled ‘The Sun Also Rises’ will be out on 2nd March 2015
- This fully immersive 76-minute journey is informed by their musical heroes; everyone from Pink Floyd to Ricardo Villalobos, Sasha & Digweed and even the classical concertos of Chopin
- Dance Spirit invited sessions musicians, producers and vocalist in to contribute to the work including Innervisions-signed Jon Charnis, Afro Cuban jazz trumpeter Gabe Steiner, Nikko Gibler (Visionquest, Culprit, Bedrock) and singer Shawni, among others
- Utilizing an enviable studio set-up of instruments, hardware and software including a compressor once belonging to James Brown, the record was created only on Sundays – when the pair was either fresh from a full night’s sleep, or straight to the studio inspired by last night’s party
- Splitting their time between California and Barcelona, Dance Spirit release the album on Audiofly’s Supernature label and are key members of the Flying Circus familia playing parties all across the globe as a live act
Dance Spirit – The Sun Also Rises
Release: March 2, 2015
File under: New Music / Electronica, Indie & Dance
Produced only on Sundays after either a good nights sleep – or none at all – Supernature signed duo Dance Spirit have created a masterful debut album informed by their musical heroes; everyone from Pink Floyd, Ricardo Villalobos and Sasha & Digweed to the classical concertos of Chopin.
If it sounds like an ambitious palette of sounds to draw from, the almost freakish natural talent of its creators Christopher Mohn and Reagan Denius makes ‘The Sun Also Rises’, a remarkably executed and fully cohesive musical experience.
Produced over an eight-month period between November 2012 and June 2013, the Californian-born pair normally used to producing purely with the dancefloor in mind, delighted in a boundary-less opportunity to express themselves in the studio.
Fully utilising the geared up ‘Skybox’ studio located in a neighbourhood in Venice Beach that housed everything from a control room, a live room, an extensive range of instruments too vast to list, plus an enviable collection of hardware including a UA1176 Rev D compressor once belonging to James Brown, Chris and Reagan set about having “extreme fun” creating ‘The Sun Also Rises’.
They also revelled in the collaborative process. In album tracks ‘Silent Words’ and ‘Undressed’ they invited talented Afro Cuban jazz trumpeter Gabe Steiner to come lay down some improvised horns. Nikko Gibler (Visionquest, Culprit, Bedrock), brought the full force of his musical talent on the cinematic ‘Where You Want To Be’ contributing an intoxicating brew of xylophone, harmonica, keys and dreamy vocals that swirl alongside Dance Spirit’s dusty drums making for a moreish album highlight.
Elsewhere the album points its compass more towards club territory, with Innervisions signed Jon Charnis making a studio visit to contribute to ‘Satellites’, while respected Canadian tech houser Jay Tripwire lends his vibes to the deep percussive roller ‘Lamentation’. The track features a cheeky nod to the good times that surrounded the album’s creation with a sample recording of a drunken guy belting out Whitney Houston at the top of his lungs recorded on iPhone during on an early morning walk home from a night at LA’s Exchange.
A more ‘official’ vocal contribution comes from singer Shawni who features on two album cuts, highlighted by ‘Silent Words’ with her gorgeous pipes combining with delicate horns and strings to create arguably the album’s most beautiful moment.
“Stylistically speaking the album is a conceptual listeners piece that aims to capture beauty and emotion in a contemporary and modern fashion. Heavily influenced by the rhythms of underground dance culture, and various genres of music, we wanted to take the listener on an emotional and thought provoking ride from beginning to end. It is intended for club culture, but we suggest that listening take place before or after a night out. It is the perfect compliment to tie up the loose ends of an exciting and anticipated dance night.” – Dance Spirit
1. The Sun Also Rises (Original Mix)
2. Outside Looking In
3. Waiting In The Light
4. Satellite feat. Jon Charnis
5. Beauty and Sadness
6. Undressed feat. Shawni
7. Where You Want To Be feat. Nikko Gibbler
8. Lamentation feat. Jay Tripwire
9. Silent Words feat. Shawni
10. Shine Inside
12. Lucid Love